APPLICATIONS for Counselors / ACs will open February 5, 2018 and close FEBRUARY 28, 2018.
Please read the following information regarding Counselor / AC positions at CYC!
Counselors and Assistant Counselors lead the campers throughout the week of camp. From ensuring basic safety to getting campers to class on time, Counselors and ACs bond with each other and with their campers to create priceless memories!
Our Counselors and ACs are taught leadership, communication, collaboration, and conflict resolution skills that we believe build confidence and are invaluable in school and in life. Besides being an essential part of helping CYC run smoothly and safely, CYC Counselors and ACs form a bond unlike any other and more importantly, have tons of fun!
To be eligible to be Counselor / AC, you must:
- Be at least 15 years of age. This year, we are opening up counselor and assistant counselor positions to incoming college sophomores for the Fall 2018 to Spring 2019 school year, but please be aware that priority will go to high school students.
- Complete the Counselor / AC application by February 28th.
- Complete registration, UT Forms, AND PAY for CYC (Camper + Bus fee) on March 1st. ALL APPLICANTS will need to register (including college applicants). **NEW**: Registration for C/ACs is the same timing as general registration for all campers. Applying as C/AC does not guarantee you a spot at CYC. As such, you must complete registration on March 1st.
- **NEW**: Attend Pre-Interview Workshop on March 10th or March 25th from 8:30am – 11:30am @Campbell Learning Center
- Attend an interview on March 31st , April 7th, or April 8th @Campbell Learning Center. Interview slots will be assigned on a first come, first served basis, so don’t wait to apply!
- **NEW**: Complete an open book quiz over the CYC Handbook during the group portion of your interview slot. If you are unable to attend an in person interview and are opting for a phone interview, the link to the quiz will be sent to you via email after April 8th. Click on the link for a copy of the CYC 2018 DRAFT Handbook.
What is cyc looking for?
CYC is looking for enthusiastic individuals who are not afraid to step out of their comfort zone! Counselors and ACs are taught and evaluated against four main categories: Leadership, Behavior Management, Teamwork & Communication, and putting Campers 1st. See the C/AC Evaluation Form for details regarding each category.
- Pre-Interview Workshop – 40 pts
- Interview – 40pts
- Handbook Quiz – 20pts
The Pre-Interview Workshop is mandatory for all applicants in Texas. It is in your best interest to attend as you will be receiving helpful interviewing tips as well as getting the chance to show us (rather than just tell us) why you should be a C/AC. However, we understand that for out of state applicants, this may not be feasible. In such instances, CYC will send you the workshop resource materials, and your interview score will be counted as double.
PLEASE NOTE: During the C/AC application process, we are often asked the question – “What if I can’t make the date for workshops, interviews, training, this one day at camp? Can you make an exception?” Unfortunately, the answer is no, we cannot make an exception. Doing so would:
- Put a strain on the C/AC team during the week of camp as the applicant is less prepared
- Be unfair to the other applicants who prioritize their time to attend mandatory events
- Create a burden on the volunteer staff who give up weekends to run the curriculum.CYC understands that high school students have many competing opportunities during the summer such as band/dance camp, SAT classes, summer internships, travel abroad. We encourage them to explore all the options and do what it is best for them! To try accommodate this, we begin planning for next year’s camp as soon as possible so that camp dates as well as application dates of workshops, interviews, training are known well in advance. Our volunteer team dedicate themselves to the leadership pillar of CYC by putting in time and effort into making these free workshops and interviews available. It requires a commitment in expenses by CYC to rent space and pay for printing of materials. It is our investment in the future generation of leaders at no cost to the applicants, and we ask in return for their commitment to this application process.
If you are selected, you must:
- Attend the entire two day training on July 7 and July 8 @Campbell Learning Center. Due to the importance of training to prepare for camp duties, set expectations, and bond with your fellow group C/ACs, attendance is mandatory for everyone. If an applicant cannot make training but has been a C/AC before, they are able to get the position that they have had previous experience (i.e. a previous counselor can make counselor and previous AC can make AC) or have had more than one year of experience (i.e. an applicant who has served as AC two years is able to make counselor).
- Call campers and families to go over camp rules two weeks before camp.
- Be present the entire week of camp.
- Help move inventory the weekend before camp and the weekend after camp.
- Potentially attend camp a day early.
- Potentially attend a sleepover at a date TBD.
Counselors and ACs will pay camp fees upfront, and a portion will be awarded back as a scholarship at the end of camp pending a performance evaluation. They will also receive 40 hours of volunteer service hours towards college applications for those who request it. Don’t forget, CYC camp leaders can be tapped for referrals and references as you apply for college!
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Please see important dates below:
- February 1 – February 28, 2018: Financial Aid applications open
- February 5 – February 28, 2018: Counselor/Assistant Counselor Application Opens
- March 1 – April 31, 2018: Camper Registration (Open until capacity is reached).
- March 10 or March 25: Pre-Interview Workshop 8:30am – 11:30am @Campbell Learning Center
- March 31, April 7, or April 8: Counselor / AC Interviews @Campbell Learning Center
- April – May: Results will be posted as soon as possible but no later than the end of May.
- July 7 and July 8: Counselor and Assistant Counselor Training @Campbell Learning Center
- July 22 through July 28: CAMP WEEK!!!